Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Simple, Clear and Repeat


I am currently writing for a software company that caters to real estate professionals. I came into the job thinking that my audience would be well informed and educated about the field they worked in.
That is not the case. I have connected with a few agents and brokers who are fluent in the technology language and the media that goes along with it. For the most part, however, that is not the case. Agents, I have found, are told what they need, how to do it and sometimes have no idea what you are writing about even though they use the software. That makes communication very difficult on both ends.
So I have learned to make things a simple as possible. And to repeat your main points, in a simple way. If you are clear and simple, people can understand your main points easier and it allows you as the writer to control your message as much as you can.
I am not the most technologically savvy person out there, but I know what I'm writing about and I can hold a conversation about my company, the software, as well as press releases. So write as simple as you can, don't use jargon and industry language unless you know your audience will 100% understand what your saying, and repeat your main points.
At the end of the day, you can't control how your audience is going react to your message, but you can help them along to where you want them to be. That is what I am working with my audience on, and slowly but surely I'll get there.

No comments: